Vacuuming is undoubtedly one of the daily household chores that makes life quite difficult. The reason for the same is people must get down on their knees to vacuum dirt out of corners and carry the heavyweight device in different parts of the house accompanied by the noise produced by them. But with the advancement of technology, this task is made easier using robot vacuum cleaners.
A robotic vacuum cleaner also is known as Roomba, helps to tackle everyday problems and makes lives more comfortable. When they first came into the market, they were popular among a small group of people. These robots vacuum cleaners very efficiently save energy, efforts as well as time. Just clicks of a few buttons do the work that seems to be never-ending
- Power Lifting Suction delivers 10X the air power for improved pick up performance; Automatically increases cleaning performance on carpets with Power Boost (Compared to Roomba 600 Series and AeroVac System)
- Patented iAdapt 2.0 Navigation with vSLAM technology allows the robot to map its surroundings to clean an entire level of your home, around objects, and under furniture
- Ideal for homes with pets; Premium 3 stage Cleaning System cleans the dirt and pet hair you see and the allergens and dust you don't
- Dual Multi Surface Rubber Brushes adjust and flex to stay in constant contact with carpets and hard floors
- High Efficiency Filter traps 99 percent of cat and dog allergens
Roomba 980 and 985 are similar in many aspects such as weight and other accessories, but the point that sets apart Roomba 985 from Roomba 980 is the difference in the price of both items. The reason for this difference is undoubtedly better to build the quality of Roomba 985.
- CLEANS ALL FLOOR TYPES - The iRobot pet hair Roomba vacuum’s Auto-Adjust cleaning head has an automatically adapting height that keeps the Dual Multi-Surface Brushes in close contact with various floor surfaces.
- ENTIRE LEVEL COVERAGE - iAdapt 2.0 Navigation with Visual Localization ensures the Roomba robotic vacuum cleaner iRobot seamlessly and efficiently navigates an entire level within your home while keeping track of its location.
- UP TO 10X THE SUCTION - The iRobot Roomba vacuum’s Power Boost mode automatically boosts air power by up to 10X. The premium 3-Stage Cleaning System uses Dual Multi-Surface Rubber Brushes and Power-Lifting Suction to suck up debris, embedded dirt, and pet hair.
- HOMES WITH PETS - The robot vacuum iRobot’s High-Efficiency Filter captures 99% of particles, allergens, and pollen. The robotic vacuum Roomba’s tangle-free rubber brushes easily deal with pet hairs.
- RECHARGE AND RESUME - The robot Roomba 985 runs continuously for up to 120 minutes. The Roomba dog hair vacuum then automatically recharges and resumes where it left off to complete the job.
This article will surely help you to make an intelligent choice between both Roombas. If you have pets that keep shedding their hair or a dense carpet, which makes you feel miserable whenever you think of cleaning it, then both these Roombas have exceptional abilities to do so.
Similarities Between Roomba 980 and Roomba 985
The shape and size of Roomba 980 and 985 are entirely the same. The diameter of both models is 14 inches, while the height is 3.6 inches each. These dimensions are more than ideal for cleaning purpose of hard to reach corners and other small spaces such as under the bed or couch.
iRobot’s Gen 3 Motor
iRobot’s Gen 3 motor powers both models. The suction capacity of Roomba 980, as well as 985, is nearly ten times faster than older Roomba models. These models are designed in such a way that the suction plate is very near to the ground. They also have a release button which makes the task of removing dust from the machine straightforward.
Efficient Filter (HEPA quality)
On the top of the bin, another section contains a very high-performance filter that can enclose particles upto10 microns. The efficiency of this filter is very high and is close to 99%.
This feature makes this device most suitable for people who have asthma and other allergies. There is also a spare filter which is provided with the Roomba 985. This extra filter can be used after using the original filter for six months.
Aero Force 3-Stage Cleaning System
These robots do the cleaning is carried out in 3 stages. The first stage involves sweeping, which is completed by the side brushed, which has an angle of orientation of 27 degrees, which helps in efficiently gathering debris from the corner of a wall and in thresholds. This side brush pushes debris towards Robot dirt extractor.
The second stage involves agitation and further collection of dust. Dual extractors carry out this stage. They are equipped with rubber paddles that beat carpets to loosen the dust settled on carpet. The last and final step is suction, in which dirt is sucked from extractors into the chamber and further moved into a collection bin.
Dirt Detection Technology
The other remarkable feature is the dirt detection technology of both these vacuum cleaners. The acoustic sensor placed in these robots with the help of sound waves can determine the number of dust particles on different surfaces such as carpets.
The suction power is increased according to the amount of dust and similarly decreased when the surface is hard. The robots also return to an area if any dirt is left and re-cleans until the room is spotless. These vacuums also feature an auto-adjust cleaning head. With its help, they are no need for manual adjustment according to furniture orientation.
Both models of Roomba are equipped with a bunch of infrared sensors that have a remarkable ability to detect stairs, leaves, and any other height, which is more than half an inch. These infrared sensors are present at the bottom of the machine.
Whenever any fall is detected, the robot becomes alert, and they are no further forward movement as well it changes direction accompanied by a slow-motion till the alert signal by the sensor is stopped
This app can easily be downloaded from the play store as well as the iOS app store. This app is very user friendly and allows users to have full control of the devices. The features provided by the app include the ability to start and stop cleaning, instruct the device to go to charging dock.
This app also provides the feature to schedule cleanings according to the feasibility of the user. The remaining battery of the device is also displayed on the app. This robot is also compatible with google assistant and Alexa.
These Robots are equipped with Smart Mapping, accompanied by the latest VSLAM Technology. VSLAM stands for visual simultaneous location and mapping algorithm. Using a camera, this technology helps these robots to create a dimensional map of the area it is operating.
This map is further uploaded to the app where the user can view it, and the same time user knows the location of the device all time. This smart mapping avoids damage to the robot or to any furniture that comes in its way.
Battery and recharging
Both the models of robot vacuum cleaner have a powerful 3,300 Milliampere lithium-ion battery, which can provide a robust and steady suction even if the battery is low. The running time for Roombas with a full battery is 120 minutes. Both the Roombas can monitor the battery life while in use.
During cleaning, if the battery of the device is below 15%, it pauses the cleaning sessions and returns to the base station for a recharge. The robots also make sure that enough battery is left so that they can return to the power doc. The cleaning is resumed from the point it is gone after charging.
Key differences Between Roomba 980 and Roomba 985
Virtual Wall Barrier
Both I-Robots have a unique feature known as the Virtual Wall Barrier. This is a small tower with a sliding switch. It has two operating modes, and there is an option to select one of these modes. The first mode is the wall mode.
This mode is ideal for blocking access of robots to busy doorways, which generally involves the movement of people. The other way is Halo Mode. In this mode, the tower creates a protective half foot circle. This mode is helpful whenever you need to keep the robot away from fireplaces, pet bowls, and other electronic places.
The 985 model comes with a single virtual barrier, while the 980 model comes with a dual virtual wall.
The side brush is one of the most important components which helps these devices to complete their assigned work efficiently. But this side brush is often broken because of its extensive use.
Roomba 985 has only one side brush, but Roomba 980 is provided with two side brushes.
Roomba 985: Around 650$
Roomba980: Around 450$
The cost of Roomba985 is much higher as compared to Roomba980. This may be because of the better build quality of Roomba985. It still not clears why 985 is priced more than 980, although it has lesser extra parts than Roomba 980 and almost all similar features.
From the above analysis, the specifications of both these devices are almost the same. Still, a few points can be considered while deciding the winner between these two models.
- If you have ample house clearance, you need a Roomba 980 as it has two virtual barriers as compared to Roomba 985.
- If you have extended the use of the device, then also Roomba 980 is the winner.
Taking all factors into consideration, we recommend choosing Roomba 980 because of its cost-effectiveness and other salient features.