I think we can all agree on how important it is to keep your home safe when there are people out there who do not even hesitate to rob a house in broad daylight. And the only thing that stands between you and such people is the door of your home.
If you are careless enough to let such people enter your house, then the consequences can be adverse. So, to prevent any such event from happening, you should install a video doorbell at the entrance of your home.
Having a video doorbell allows you to see who is standing at your door without having to let them in. There are plenty of other advantages of having a video doorbell as well, and we have listed them all down below.
But before that, let us tell you in brief what a video doorbell exactly is and how it works. We have also listed the five best video doorbells available in the market in 2020 since there are plenty of options when it comes to buying one, and we do not want you to go crazy while doing so.
What is Video Doorbell?
It was not too long ago that people were peeping through their doors to see who is on the other side. Peepholes, however, have their disadvantages, and not being able to see everything is one of them. You cannot view as much stuff with a peephole as you can do using a video doorbell. Not to mention the struggle of literally putting one of your eyes in front of the hole to look through.
To tackle problems like these and to make life easier, which is what drives technological advancement in the first place, video doorbell was invented. A video doorbell is a camera, microphone, and speaker combination that you can install on the entrance of your house and see who is standing at your door without even having to leave your place. You can also talk to the person standing at your door using the microphone and the speaker.
A video doorbell is still a relatively new technology, but it is catching up with other techs like a camera and alarm sensors. More and more people are adopting this new piece of technology, and it will not be long before a video doorbell becomes a must-have security feature for homes. And there are plenty of reasons for that to happen. Let us look at some of the significant advantages of using a video doorbell in your home.
Advantages of Using a Video Doorbell
Well, therefore video doorbells were created in the first place. Being able to see who is standing on your door, you can safely decide whether or not to let the person in. Video doorbells also have a feature to record everything that is going on outside, in front of your home. Although usually, that requires you to pay extra money every month. However, it can be a pretty handy feature to have at times.
Also, one significant advantage that video doorbells offer is the ability to see in the dark using night-vision cameras. And since most of the crimes happen at night, this ability becomes a considerable utility.
Making life more comfortable and convenient is why humans are so driven to advance technology with time. The video doorbell is the prime example of that tendency. Having to leave your couch to see that the person on your door is just another door-to-door salesman selling something you do not need can be frustrating.
Having a video doorbell installed at your doorstep can make life easier for you since you can tell such people to leave without having to get up from your place. Although it might not seem like a huge advantage, you will pat yourself on the back for installing a video doorbell at your home once something like this happens.
It is not just safety and convenience that you get by installing a video doorbell at your home. There are other advantages, as well. One such significant advantage is the valuable footage you can capture in case something suspicious happens on your front door.
If your park your car at your front door and someone tries to steal it, you can capture the person using your video doorbell camera, and it will work even at night because of the night vision.
Another great advantage of using a video doorbell is the fact that it can lower your home insurance bill. Yes, that’s right. In recent times, home insurance companies have started forming partnerships with home security companies and tend to give discounts on home insurance if you install their products.
Factors like these make it a pretty compelling choice to install a video doorbell at your home, which is why we’ve made a list of 5 best video doorbell options available currently in the market. These video doorbells all offer a different set of features, and almost everyone will be able to find a suitable model for themselves from the list below.
5 Best Video Doorbells 
Nest Hello Video Doorbell
The reason for putting this doorbell before anyone else on this list is because this product is the most technologically advanced video doorbell you can get in the market, which is expected given it comes from Google. Yes, that’s right. The nest is a home security solution service offered by Google.
This is not the most pocket-friendly option on the list, with its price being on the higher end at around $250. But the features on offer match with the price point. It has all the necessary features like every other video doorbell on the list, like 1080p video recording, motion detection, and threat alert.
It has a built-in microphone and speaker for two-way talking and the ability to control it using your phone or tablet. You can arm or disarm the doorbell using the mobile app and watch live feed from the camera.
But the feature that stands out is its ability to recognize exactly who is standing at your doorstep and announcing the name of the person. It does so by using AI to recognize the face of the person. The only drawback is that to use this feature, and you will subscribe to one of the nest’s monthly subscription plans, which start from $6/month and give you the ability to create your facial database and also provide free 30-days cloud storage to store the video from your nest cameras and doorbell.
Simplisafe Video Doorbell Pro
- Sends text alerts when movement is detected
- Uses multiple sensors to detect people and ignore distractions like cars and pets
- Designed to replace doorbells on a variety of homes or doorbell setup with 8-24VAC
If what you are looking for is a more affordable option with all the necessary features, then this is the one you should go for. The Simplisafe video doorbell pro has all the necessary features like 1080p video recording with a wide 160° view field and motion detection that can differentiate between humans and other things like a car or even a dog.
The only disadvantage of this Simplisafe doorbell is its costly monthly subscription plan, which starts at $24.99/month and is something you will need if you want to store the video footage from your doorbell camera. Although, at that cost, you get professional monitoring as well.
Ring Doorbell 3 Plus
- 1080p HD video doorbell with enhanced features that let you see, hear, and speak to anyone from your phone, tablet, or PC.
- An upgrade from the original Ring Video Doorbell 2, enjoy improved motion detection, privacy zones and audio privacy, and dual-band (2.4 or 5.0 GHz) wifi connectivity.
- Exclusive to Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus, get 4 extra seconds of black and white video to show you what happened before motion was triggered with Pre-Roll.
- Receive mobile notifications when anyone presses your doorbell or triggers your built-in motion sensors.
- Easily setup by connecting your Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus to wifi through the Ring app and mounting with the included tools.
Another $200+ video doorbell on the list, the Ring offers here due to one unique feature. But before that, let us talk about its basic features, which include HD video recording and motion sensing. One advantage of the Ring video doorbell is the fact that you get a wired as well as wireless model.
The feature that makes it stand out, though, is something known as “Pre-Roll Video.” As a result of this feature, whenever an alarm is raised, the doorbell camera stores a one-minute video starting from 4 seconds before when the alarm was raised.
Although, just like the previous two, you will have to subscribe to a monthly subscription plan to store the video from your ring doorbell for future uses. You can use the doorbell with the monthly subscription as well, but then you will only be able to see the live feed from the doorbell camera.
Arlo Video Doorbell
- See more at your front door - See a person from head to toe or a package on the ground with 180-degree view.
- Get a clearer picture - Detailed video in HD with HDR ensures you see the details even in low light or bright conditions.
- No hub required, connect directly to Wi-Fi.
- Smarter alerts, quicker action - Receive notifications for people, vehicles, and packages so you can take quick action such as sound the siren, call friend or dial emergency services, with the included Arlo Smart trial.
- Never miss a moment - See what triggered a motion event before it happened. With Arlo Foresight, the video doorbell captures video prior to every motion-triggered video recording so you don’t miss out.
Coming from a not so well-known brand and still being on this list along with big fishes like Nest or Ring, you might think that there is something special about this product that makes it stand out. Well, two features make it different from our top-three, along with the primary motion sensing and two-way communication features.
Those features are the ability to record video at 1536×1536 pixels and a 1:1 aspect ratio along with a 180° field of view, which allows it to significantly reduce the fisheye effect seen on the usual doorbell cameras. But all those features, along with a price tag of $160 along with a competitive $3/month cloud-storage subscription plan has what given this product a spot in our list.
Eufy Video Doorbell 2K
- 2K Resolution: When it comes to security, the key is in the details. See exactly what is happening in and around your home in crisp 2K clarity.
- No Hidden Costs: Designed to protect your home as well as your wallet, eufy security products are one-time purchases that combine security with convenience.
- Respond in Real-Time: Speak directly to anyone who approaches your front door via two-way audio. Tell your friends to come round the back or that you have just run out to get some milk.
- The Alerts Which Matter: With AI technology and our sophisticated algorithm, the camera intelligently detects body shape and face pattern. Ensuring you are only alerted when a human, and not a stray cat, is at the door.
- Free Electronic Chime Included: Supports 8 fun and holiday-themed ringtones and adjustable volume level. Note: Installation requires existing doorbell wires at 16-24 VAC, 30 VA, or above. Not compatible with Apple HomeKit or existing chimes. Does not support continuous recording.
Looking at the name of the product, it is pretty evident why this product is on the list. Yes, it offers 2k resolution video recording, unlike the other four we’ve looked at. Other than that, the basic features on offer are the same as others.
One significant advantage that Eufy offers, though, is the in-built 16GB storage, which eliminates the need for a cloud storage subscription plan. Although the product only comes in wireless form, which means you will have to charge it every 5-6 months.